Through the Lens Series

Tuesday 19 May 2015



We are all anonymous until we tell our stories.  

Through the Lens is a project I have started as a response to the world of computer screens and social anonymity.  We are connected, technically-speaking, but disconnected at the same time.  It's a huge social dilemma.

Considering the effect on creatives and creative industries, my first response is to say that we are more involved in a social network with other artists thanks to the Internet.  Behance, Deviant Art, portfolio sites, Flickr, et cetera.  All of these sites are databases for artists where we can connect, learn, and be inspired by creative people who are thousands of miles away.  

Then I thought about it some more.  Yes, I am able to see art from all over the world, but there's one huge piece missing.  

Art is about self-expression.  All creative outlets are ways for people to convey their thoughts, beliefs, messages, and desires to the world.  So how effective is it to scroll through images on a website when I have absolutely no information about the artist on the other side of the screen?

This brings me to my series, Through the Lens.  Over the next several weeks, I'll be taking you through the lens, into the lives of creatives from all over the world.  My goal is to get to know them so that I may learn more about their work and why they do what they do.  A real person is behind that computer screen and I want to bring them out.  To bring us all together.


No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

 
Blogging tips