When Life Plays Mind Games

Tuesday 31 March 2015


Have you ever been so sure of the path you're on and then one little thing comes along and BAM! you're suddenly re-evaluating your entire existence?

La di da di da, skipping through life all happy and stuff.

"My life is so solid, I'm finally comfortable with where I am and everything's falling in to place."

And then, out of nowhere, a freaking tsunami (metaphorical, of course) sends you flying into uncharted territory.

"Holy cow!  Toto, I don't think we're in Kansas anymore."

Nope, no, I'm not in Kansas anymore.  I thought I had things all sorted; me and my OCD compartmentalization techniques had it all planned out but nowwwww... who even am I anymore?!

When I'm old and grey I won't even remember this one of many existential crises, and in the off chance that I do, I'll probably just laugh it off.  But right now, it's freaking terrifying!

I was talking to a good friend of mine just the other day about this and he, being the modern Einstein that he is, told me that our generation's technological advancements suggest that one's life expectancy could increase to 116 within our lifetime.  So, as he put it, what's a little road block?  If the next couple years are sub par, you have a bucket load more coming your way, barring any extremely traumatic screw-ups.

In telling you all of this, I'm in part reassuring myself that everything's going to be okay.  Actually, better than okay.  Because chances are, if you're reading this, you've been born into a good family in a fortunate country where all of our daily tragedies are merely superficial dramas in the grand scheme of things.

But we all have struggles - big and small - and that's what flotation devices are for.  Or inner tubes, to make the ride more enjoyable.

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

 
Blogging tips